Michelle is an experienced educator, teaching students of all ages—from kindergarten to college for over 15 years. Besides education, she brings additional decades of real-world experience working with children, youth and young adults in many capacities; including her favorite venue…theatre! Michelle has directed and choreographed multiple plays and musicals with youth. She utilizes her acting abilities in teaching to make it fun and engaging.
Michelle prides herself on creating a safe environment, where students can explore, ask and answer questions, and learn; without fear of being ridiculed or seen as stupid. My role is to determine my student’s background knowledge; introduce and explain new concepts; offer myself as a guide and facilitator during the exploration of the subject matter. Learning should be subject centered, not teacher nor student centered. If the focus is on the subject, then teacher and learners enter into a journey together. The teacher should be a master of his/her subject; and a leader in the exploration of the subject matter; however, this does not make them the disseminator of all knowledge and right about all things. A teacher is a life-long learner, and I would hate to close myself off from learning from my students. Lessons and activities should offer students the ability to learn, interact, and work in their learning style; however, if the classroom is solely student centered, objectives/goals may not be met. Students should be encouraged to lead in inquiry so that they take ownership of their learning.
I have high expectations for myself and my students. When considering goals for myself these encompass my priorities:
· To develop life-long learners.
· To engage my students.
· To improve assessments that accurately depicts students’ mastery and understanding.
· To personalize learning.
· To help students find their voice. To find what they want to say and how to say it; and the skills to communicate and express effectively and with confidence.
· To help students articulate and follow their values.
· To facilitate mastery of their chosen field and the fundamentals of the subject matter.
These goals encompass my goals for my students. Students will:
· Improve their academic performance
· Improve their self-confidence
· Increase their motivation to achieve
· Increase their pride and satisfaction in performance
· Demonstrate critical thinking
· Demonstrate a deep understanding of the content; and be able to apply this knowledge to problems in and out of the classroom
· Learn and demonstrate respect
· Effectively use communication and cooperation skills
· Be responsible and conscientious members of society
· Set goals and assess their own learning and progress
· Be active in their own learning
· Understand the nature of knowledge
My greatest desire is to enrich students’ lives by teaching and assisting them in their academic journey, research, and their own, personal interests. I am dedicated to assisting students in developing intellectual integrity, academic excellence, and in becoming lifelong learners.
Master’s in Education, School Library and Information Sciences
Mansfield University; Mansfield, PA, 2009
Bachelor’s, Elementary Education with emphasis in Social Sciences and English
Trinity International University; Deerfield, IL, 2003